Ocean Discovery currently serves 6,000 young people a year from City Heights in hands-on science and conservation. But there are thousands more young people in the community eagerly awaiting these opportunities.
In order to expand our work to reach more young people each year, we have partnered with the San Diego Unified School District to build a permanent state-of-the-art science and conservation education facility in the heart of City Heights. This will be our Living Lab.
We’ve been working together toward the Living Lab for many years. We had planned our Grand Opening for September 16th but as it turns out, the construction needs a little more time. Our celebration will have to wait just a bit longer. We hope that you’ll be able to join us when our collective vision comes to life.
Weekly walking Tours of the Living Lab are scheduled for Thursdays. To register click HERE
The Living Lab is currently under construction, coming soon!
Designed by renowned architect Rob Wellington Quigley, the Living Lab will be a 12,000 square foot, LEED-platinum, cutting-edge facility, strategically located in City Heights within walking distance for thousands of students. The Living Lab will be more than just a building.
- It will be a place where students and teachers explore the fields of science during and after school.
- It will be a place where youth define their college and career aspirations.
- It will be a place where families engage in science and conservation activities relevant to their daily lives.
- It will be a place where scientists from the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and other partners conduct research alongside students.
- It will be a place that transforms an entire community through science and conservation.
A unique aspect of the project is the joint venture agreement between Ocean Discovery Institute and San Diego Unified. The partnership with San Diego Unified School District will provide San Diego Unified students with more than 70,000 hours per year of standards-based, curriculum-aligned science education during the school day and hands-on experience at all hours.