Ocean Discovery provides school-day programs, after-school camps, and leadership programs. If you are a Science Leader, we need you to enhance the experience for our students.
You don’t need to be a marine biologist, an oceanographer, or even a traditional research scientist to volunteer! We use the term “Science Leader” to be inclusive of individuals working in science and science-related fields who guide and inspire others by influencing knowledge with their thinking and ideas (Forbes 2014). Their work may involve creating new technologies or doing scientific research, and communicating and teaching that research to others. Their ideas tend to be well thought-through, supported by data and analysis, and logical. Science leaders develop structures and frameworks that build knowledge about our world, help solve problems facing our planet, improve human lives, and make our world a better place. Science Leaders can come from a wide variety of science and science-related fields. A science or science-related career, as defined by the National Science Foundation (2015), is any position that is filled by a college graduate in a science or science-related field of study, including, but not limited to:
- Computer and mathematical scientists
- Biological, agricultural, and environmental life scientists
- Physical scientists (e.g., physicists, chemists, geoscientists)
- Social scientists (e.g., psychologists, economists, sociologists)
- Postsecondary teachers in science and science-related fields
- Health care workers (e.g., physicians, audiologists, nurses)
- Science and science-related managers (e.g., engineering managers, natural and social science managers)
- Science and engineering pre-college teachers (e.g., science teachers, math teachers)
- Technologists and technicians
- Other science and science-related occupations (e.g., actuaries, architects)
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please follow the steps below to sign up. Our students can’t wait to meet you!
Fill out the Volunteer Application
Learn more about the opportunities below and get involved!
Short-term Virtual Experience