Be a part of our community, and learn more about ways that you can participate. Everyone is welcome to explore the Living Lab grounds and join us for our regular public events. Our science programs are open to all current students in our school-shed – students currently enrolled at a Hoover High School cluster school – as well as Hoover High School graduates pursuing higher education. Our current hours of operation are as follows:
Monday: 7:30am to 4:00pm
Tuesday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
Wednesday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
Thursday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
Friday: 7:30am to 4:00pm
1 ) Sign up as a School-shed Member
Current students in the Hoover High cluster of schools and Hoover High School graduates pursuing higher education.
2 ) Sign up for a Visitor Tour or an event
Students outside our school-shed, family and friends of a school-shed member, and other community members.
Who can join? Membership is open to current students in our school-shed – students currently enrolled at a Hoover High School cluster school – as well as Hoover High School graduates pursuing higher education.
What are the benefits? The Living Lab is a space where members can feel safe and are encouraged to make discoveries. School-shed members may participate in our tuition-free after-school programs, summer camps, and fellowships. Also, members have exclusive access to the Member Zone – the educational resources and spaces in our Living Lab that include quiet study areas, computers, and other educational resources.
How can I join? We ask anyone who’s interested in becoming a school-shed member to attend a member orientation and complete an online application. This allows you learn about our programs, while ensuring a safe environment for our students.
A special note to companions: You play an important role in creating a safe and positive learning environment. Members who have not yet entered middle school must be accompanied by a companion while at the Living Lab. A companion is a parent or adult family member or friend. Before accompanying your student as a companion, you must first sign up as a school-shed member or an adult volunteer.
1. Participate in a membership orientation. We ask all prospective members to join us for an orientation. The orientation is a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with Ocean Discovery’s programs and the Living Lab.
2. Submit an application. If you decide to become a member, we’ll help you to create an account and complete an online membership application during the orientation. During this process, we’ll ask for information about you and your family. We’ll never share sell this information or share it with anyone outside of Ocean Discovery. The information we collect helps us stay connected with you about upcoming activities and events. It also ensures we continue to deliver the highest quality programming.
3. Obtain your identification card*. Your ID card identifies you as a member. It lets others know you belong in the Living Lab. There is a one-time charge of $5 per identification card. We ask that you to wear your identification card anytime you enter the facility or participate in a program. We do this because knowing who’s who helps ensure the safety of our students.
*If the $5 charge may prohibit your involvement, please see a staff member who will help you explore options.
4. Sign up for programming. Congratulations! You can now enjoy all the benefits of being a school-shed member. Stop in and let us help you get started or simply view the Calendar of Opportunities below. To learn about the right programs for you, scroll down.
We offer a variety of programs for all school-shed members. A description of these programs are listed below.
Opportunities For All Ages
Family Science Programming: Hands-on science programming for the entire family including healthy cooking, exercise, gardening and science. Programming starts on Saturdays in October.
Opportunities For Students in K-5th Grade
Ocean Adventures – After School Camp: Join 5 weeks of camp for grades K-5 throughout the school year and learn about Ocean Science through hands on activities. Students must have a membership badge and can be dropped off and picked up before and after camp hours. For more information, please visit us at our Living Lab.
Opportunities For Students in 6-8th Grade
Science Empowering Students: participate in authentic scientific research in this academic year long program that takes place during after-school and weekend hours at the Living Lab. For incoming 7th and 8th graders. Interview required.
Opportunities for Students in High School
BAHIA: participate in authentic scientific research in San Diego and Baja California during this academic year long program that takes place during after-school and weekend hours and over the summer. For incoming 9th,10th, and 11th graders. Interview required.
If you are already a school-shed member, sign up for programs by clicking below.
View our calendar for upcoming opportunities.
- Public tours & events are designated by the color green.
- Volunteer opportunities are designated by the color orange.
- School-shed programs are designated by the color blue. These programs are available for our members.
When you click on the calendar item, you will be taken to our registration portal where you can create an account and sign up for opportunities.