Volunteer as a science leader
We exclusively reach young people from City Heights, a low-income, urban, and racially diverse community. By providing young people with science education, mentorship, and the tools to overcome challenges, they break the cycle of poverty and enter science and science-related fields.
We need volunteers who are racially diverse and willing to share their journey of becoming a scientist! Many of our students have never seen a scientist who looks like them, which is not acceptable. Because of this, we commit to ensuring the majority of all volunteers reflect the students of the community of City Heights.
About the Opportunity
Participate in a virtual Q & A about your career pathway and journey as a science leader. Encourage and answer questions that help students explore science and various career paths.
Science leaders participate in a 20-minute Q & A for Kinder-8th grade students learning about coastal ecosystems.
- Prepare 1-2 visuals (e.g., photos, videos, research equipment, etc.) to support your conversation.
- Connect what you do to the lesson of the day (we will help you prepare).
- Must be an undergraduate student, graduate student, or professional who works in science or science-related fields.
- Two 20 minute virtual appearances.
- One 30-minute block to review reading materials and prepare slides.
Dates and Times
We offer both morning and afternoon sessions.
- Morning Session
- 1st Grade: 10:45am – 11:00am
- 4th Grade: 10:35am – 10:55am
- Afternoon Session
- K – 8: 3:45pm – 4:15pm.
- Spring Break, Week of March 29th
- K- 8: 9:45am – 10:15am
- K – 8: 2:15pm – 2:45pm
- Open dates
- January 18th – March 31st.
Virtually over Zoom for 20 minutes.
Step 1: Fill out a Volunteer Application.
Step 2: Sign-up for the dates and times that work for you!
(If this is your first time signing up, you will be prompted to register first. This is a one-time step to get you into our system. Once you are registered you will be able to sign up for future dates with your newly created credentials.)