Volunteer as a science leader
We exclusively reach young people from City Heights, a low-income, urban, and racially diverse community. By providing young people with science education, mentorship, and the tools to overcome challenges, they break the cycle of poverty and enter science and science-related fields.
We need volunteers who are racially diverse and willing to share their journey of becoming a scientist! Many of our students have never seen a scientist who looks like them, which is not acceptable. Because of this, we commit to ensuring 2/3 of all volunteers are individuals of color.
About the Opportunity
Participate in a virtual Q & A about your career pathway and journey as a science leader. Encourage and answer questions that help students explore science and various career paths.
Science leaders participate in a 20-minute Q & A for Kinder-8th grade students learning about coastal ecosystems.
- Prepare 1-2 visuals (e.g., photos, videos, research equipment, etc.) to support your conversation.
- Connect what you do to the lesson of the day (we will help you prepare).
- Must be an undergraduate student, graduate student, or professional who works in science or science-related fields.
- Two 20 minute virtual appearances.
- One 30-minute block to review reading materials and prepare slides.
Dates and Times
We offer both morning and afternoon sessions.
- Morning Session: 9:45am – 10:05am.
- Afternoon Session: 2:15pm – 2:35pm.
- Open dates from June 22nd – August 26th.
Virtually over Zoom for 20 minutes.
Step 1: Fill out a Volunteer Application.