We are thrilled to now offer in-person programming both during the school day and after-school for our school-shed students.
OUR COVID-19 RESPONSE
While the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly refocused our day-to-day operations, it did not alter our long-term goals and mission. In late March 2020, Ocean Discovery, like many, suspended our regularly scheduled programming. Within a matter of days, we pivoted and began modified operations in order to provide immediate services to City Heights Community members. These services included:
- Free daily meals: Through our partnership with Feeding San Diego, we distributed over 300,000 healthy meals to-go for the City Heights community.
- Free school and science supplies: As families came to receive their healthy meals, they picked up age-appropriate educational activities (designed for Pre-K through 8) to support distance learning. We distributed both basic educational supplies like pencils, paper, markers, and rulers as well as items that spark joy like hand lenses and stickers. In addition, students received packets of activity worksheets to foster literacy, math, and science skills.
- Technology trainings on YouTube: We developed a series of trainings on our YouTube channel (since we know most families use YouTube on their phones) to ensure our students can get set up online for success.
- Mentoring: We continued to provide ongoing mentoring and counseling to over 200 of our students. These mentor relationships are especially vital for our student’s mental health and well-being.
- In-person, Outdoor Programs: Starting in September 2020, we began offering week-long, in-person after-school camps for K-12 students. Over 300 students participated during the school year and 450 students participated in the summer as they prepared to transition back to full-time, on-site schooling in fall 2021.
We are extremely grateful to those who contributed during this most uncertain moment in time and continue to support our students as we transitioned back to in-person programming.
We know that this continues to be a very difficult time for our community. While we continue to provide daily programs and mentoring, we also wanted to share with you a list of resources that might fill a need. Below you’ll find links to:
- Educational Resources
- Wi-Fi, Internet Access, Utility Services
- Computer Distribution Application
- Low-Cost Computer For Qualified Individuals
- Health and Wellness Service
- Food Services
- Employment & Financial Support Resources
- Diaper Banks
- COVID FAQs
Wi-Fi, Internet Access, Utility Services
Computer Distribution Application
Low-Cost Computers For Qualified Individuals
Health and Wellness Services
Employment & Financial Support Resources