By July 1: Finish paperwork and submit to JOEL.
- Complete the paperwork detailed in Section 1.
- Take 5 minutes to complete this form and provide information about yourself that we will use to introduce you to the students after you’ve arrived in Bahia.
NO Earlier than July 10th: Apply for a Visa online
- Obtain your Mexican Travel Visa prior to your departure. The visa is free unless you plan to extend your trip and stay for more than 7 days. The Mexican government states that this cannot be obtained MORE than 30 days before you depart, or it becomes invalid. Email your visa to Nalleli (email@example.com) or text her at (619-241-5709).
Before your departure date – Read and/or watch all trainings:
- Watch (if you were unable to attend live): Science Mentor Orientation #1
- Watch (if you were unable to attend live): Science Mentor Orientation #2
- Watch: Growth Mindset Training Video and accompanying YouTube video
- Watch: Mentoring Best Practices Training Video
- Read: Ocean Leader Intro To Research Syllabus
- Read: Student Bios & Photos – get familiar with this year’s student cohort
- Read 1-page descriptions of field research projects:
Before your departure date: Prepare for travel!
- If you have been told you are a Driver in an Ocean Discovery vehicle, please email or text a copy of your driver’s license to Nalleli (firstname.lastname@example.org) / 619-241-5709.
- Remember to bring a lunch and for the ride down as we do not stop to buy lunch.
- Pack for your trip using the Intro To Research Packing List.
- If you are driving your own vehicle or have indicated you are comfortable driving an Ocean Discovery vehicle, read the Driving In Mexico Guide And Directions Via Mex 5 2022.If you are driving your own vehicle and not joining an Ocean Discovery caravan, please print this document to have with you during travel.
within 24 hours of your departure: covid test
- Take an at-home/antigen COVID test and text a photo of your results to Nalleli at 619-241-5709 within 24 hours of departure.
- You may also submit a lab-administered PCR test result that was obtained within 72 hours of departure.
Day of Departure
For those travelling with other passengers in Ocean Discovery vehicles or personal vehicles (most mentors):
- Send Nalleli an email/text of your proof of negative Covid test before leaving home (24 hours prior to departure.
- Arrive with your water, snacks, and lunch for the ride down.
- Meet Joel (207-232-0452) at the Living Lab (4255 Thorn Street) at 7:00 a.m.
- Parking: Only street parking is available. You may wish to be dropped off or take a taxi / Uber / Lyft.
- Pack cars.
- Participate in a pre-trip orientation:
- Review of safety gear
- Review of driving directions and driving in Mexico protocol
- Leave for Bahia at 8:00 am to ensure arrival by 5:00 pm.
For those traveling in personal vehicles without other program passengers:
- Send Nalleli an email/text of your proof of negative Covid test before leaving home (24 hours prior to departure).
- If travelling in the Ocean Discovery caravan:
- Follow steps 2-7 above
- If traveling independently:
- Print out the “Driving to Mexico” document and bring with you to follow during your trip.
- Please plan to leave your house by 8:00 am to ensure arrival by 5:00 pm.
Return to the Ocean Leader Intro to Research Volunteer Portal